www.jesusonthetube.co.uk for my other website, my best known image of Jesus sitting on the tube train being ignored
www.agracefuldeath.blogspot.com. for the A Graceful Death exhibition, paintings from the end of life
- In order to paint anything I generally need a client or an audience. So I have to work out in advance, who am I doing this for?
- So I have to find a Client or Clients.
- This means hours looking on Facebook for people to convince to have a painting
- No it doesn't.
- Because it is a wonderful digital and internet age, it is necessary to create custom and interest on the computer, so Blogs, Forums, Websites and other sites are a must to get the word out
- This means I can spend forty thousand years on the computer making interesting places for people to see what I do, and of course, read what I do (like you, kind and wonderful folk that you are). Fun though it is, it is not Art.
- Oh I am weary before I even write this next bit - the house needs cleaning and the boys need feeding and clothes need washing and drying and blah blah blah zzzzzzzzzzzz.
- And anything that happens, I create it. Or if it comes to me, I accept it and then manage it. Like the A Graceful Death exhibition next month in Manchester - that needs me to co ordinate it, paint it, and talk about it. And publicise it and remember all the wonderful people who help out, and then, then, to make the film of it that Neill Blume and I are doing. You don't know about it? Go to www.agracefuldeath.blogspot.com and have a wee read.
- And when people ask for Angels, I do them and send them out by post. They should fly, shouldn't they?
- And in the back of my mind, until it is done, is the portrait of the Rock Chick Angel of the North, the incredible Rev Rachel Mann, maverick vicar and wonder woman, poet and performer. So I creep up to the painting which is about 4' x 3' in size, with my eyes squeezed shut and my mouth in a tight little pout, dab a teeny bit of paint on it then squeal and run away and hide
- Why? Because it is a painting, I am a painter, and it is important. And like many painters I expect, I fear that somehow we have all been fooled and I can't really paint at all, and God knows how all the other paintings got done - fluke, or and alien, or something. And now is the moment I will be unmasked as a Charlatan and a Cad and a Loser. "Ha!" they will say, "we knew it was painting by numbers all along, we all knew it".
- But this is just a process. I always get over it and the painting will get done because I will, once it starts to look more as I want it to look, enjoy it obsessively.
- Like Facebook.